Headache Treatment in Sandy Springs, GA
Most adults experience a headache from time to time. Over-the-counter medication and rest is usually sufficient to alleviate the occasional headache. However, individuals who struggle with chronic headaches or even migraines can benefit from discussing their symptoms with a neurologist. Gerald Silverboard, MD Specialist In Neurology in Sandy Springs, GA can evaluate, diagnose and recommend an appropriate treatment for your chronic headaches.
When To See A Neurologist
Individuals who experience mild headaches on occasion can rely on over-the-counter pain relievers and other home remedies to treat their headaches. Individuals who struggle with chronic or severe headaches, such as migraines, might benefit from the specialized care a neurologist can provide.
Consider seeing a neurologist if any of the following situations apply:
- You experience more than two major headaches weekly.
- You experience a severe headache with sudden onset that is also accompanied by a fever and/or stiff neck.
- Chronic headaches make it difficult to function in your daily life.
- Whenever you have a headache, you also experience weakness in your body.
- Speech or vision are affected by the headaches (e.g., blurred vision).
- Headache pain does not improve with over-the-counter or prescription medications.
- Your headaches are often accompanied by dizziness, confusion, nausea, vomiting or loss of consciousness.
- You are over fifty years of age with chronic headaches.
- You experience a new type of headache and have a history of cancer or HIV/AIDS.
- You develop a headache after injuring your head.
A neurologist can perform a variety of tests to evaluate and diagnose the cause of your headaches. In many cases, the headaches can be migraines, but they can also be a symptom of a more serious health problem.
In order to accurately diagnose the problem, a neurologist might perform any number of tests, including:
- Physical Exam
- Neurological Exam
- Neuro-Imaging Tests
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Spinal Fluid Test
- Blood Test
If you struggle with chronic and severe headaches, standard over-the-counter or prescription medications might not be sufficient to address the problem. Additionally, the headaches might be a symptom of an underlying health problem.